Students seeking information about degrees and courses in RS should contact:
Dr. Corrie Norman, Associate Director and Advisor, 7139 Social Science Building firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements for the Major, Honors in Major and Certificate in Religious Studies
Students who wish declare their intention to major or earn a certificate in Religious Studies must meet with the Undergraduate Advisor during regular office hours or by making an appointment. Students are encouraged to do this early in their academic careers in order to plan for successful completion and take advantage of opportunities such as Honors, special research, internship, service learning or study abroad opportunities in associate with the major or certificate.
Requirements for the Major in Religious Studies
To earn a major in Religious Studies, students must complete at least 30 credits as follows:
1. Religious Studies Core Courses
a. Gateway Course: RELIG ST 101
b. Capstone Sequence: Two capstone courses, RELIG ST 600 and RELIG ST 601
2. Additional credits in religious studies to bring credits in the major to 30
a) At least 9 credits must be completed at the 300 or higher level.
b) All students must fulfill the L&S requirement of at least 15 credits of upper-level work in the major completed in residence. Religious Studies courses numbered 206, 207, 227, 234, 235, 237, 251, 253, 257, 261 and all courses numbered 300-699, except 332, count toward this requirement.
Requirements for Honors in the Major in Religious Studies
To earn Honors in the Major in Religious Studies, students must complete at least 30 credits as follows
1. Required Core and Honors Courses
a) Gateway Course: Religious Studies 101
b) Religious Studies 600 (!) preferably during junior year
c) Religious Studies 601 (%) preferably during junior year with the aim of producing a detailed senior thesis research proposal that can be submitted to the Hilldale competition as well as the Honors Senior Thesis research grant competition;
d) Religious Studies 681 + 682 Senior Honors Thesis, taken during senior year.
2. At least 6 more honors credits at the intermediate or advanced level to bring the total honors credits to at least 19 credit hours. Since students will take 600, 601, 681, and 682 for honors credits, they will earn 13 of the required 19 honors credits as part of the capstone experience. The remaining 6 credits should consist of two courses that will help the honors student work in greater depth in a particular topic area and form a relationship with a faculty member who will likely supervise the student's 681 + 682 sequence. Religious Studies courses numbered 206, 207, 227, 234, 235, 237, 251, 253, 257, 261 and all courses numbered 300-699, except 332, which carry an honors designation, count toward this requirement.
3. Students must earn a 3.5 GPA within the major, and a minimum of 3.3 cumulative GPA.
Requirements for the Certificate in Religious Studies
A certificate in Religious Studies is available to all undergraduates and special students studying at UW-Madison. To earn the certificate, students must complete:
1. Religious Studies Core Courses
a. Gateway Course: RS 101
b. Capstone Course: RS 600
2. An additional 12 credits in RS courses to bring total credits to at least 18 credits.
• Average GPA of RS courses must be 2.000 or higher.
• At least 9 credits must be earned in residence on the UW-Madison campus